Wednesday , 23 August 2017
Breaking News
Home » KANO BOMB UPDATE: Over 200 killed in Kano Mosque bomb explosions | Photos
subscribe

KANO BOMB UPDATE: Over 200 killed in Kano Mosque bomb explosions | Photos

No fewer than 200 died while about 270 were
injured on Friday as the violent Boko Haram
sect bombed the 10,000 capacity Central
Mosque where the Emir, Alhaji Sanusi Lamido
Sanusi, leads prayers.

About 10 gunmen went on a shooting spree
after the blast at the mosque, which is close to
the Emir of Kano’s palace.

A rescue official, who spoke with AFP, put
casualty figures at almost 400, adding that 120
were killed and 270 seriously injured in the
three explosions that rocked the mosque.

Anybody who condemn Boko Haram, they
always try to kill him. Just few weeks after
Emir Sanusi urge the people to defend
themselves against Boko Haram, they decided
to strike in Kano A local reporter who resides
in Kano, Chijjani Usman, told Reuters:

“The attackers have bombed the mosque. I
saw people screaming.”

Fortunately for him, Emir Sanusi had traveled
to Saudi Arabia late on Thursday night, hence
he was not at the Mosque when Boko Haram
bombs went off.

Witnesses said the incident happened just as
the people of Kano were getting set for Friday
prayers.

The Editor, BBC Hausa Service, Mansur Liman,
was quoted as saying that people had
witnessed “horrible” scenes in a nearby
hospital.

One eyewitness, who spoke with the BBC’s
Focus on Africa, said, “The Imam was about to
start prayer when he saw somebody in a car
trying to force himself into the mosque. But
when people stopped him, he detonated the
explosions. People started running helter-
skelter.”

Another worshipper, Aminu Abdullahi, who
also spoke to AFP, said:

“Two bombs exploded, one after the other, in
the premises of the Grand Mosque seconds
after the prayers had started.”

“A third one went off in a nearby road close to
the Qadiriyya Sufi order. The blasts were
followed by gunshots by the police to scare off
potential attacks.”

His account was backed up by another witness,
Hajara Tukur, who said she lives nearby.

A senior rescue official confirmed that several
bodies had been brought to just one Kano area
hospital, while over 126 people had been
admitted with injuries at three facilities.

“Those figures are going to climb,” he told AFP
on condition of anonymity, as he was not
authorised to speak to the media.

A military official, Capt. Ikechukwu Eze, also
said scores of people were killed and many
others injured.

Meanwhile, two suspected bomber were said
to have been arrested at the scene of the
incident, just as youths took to the street to
protest what they called negligence by the
police for not doing enough to protect the lives
and property of the people.

The Kano State Police Command’s Public
Relations Officer, Mustapha
Abubakar,confirmed the incident but declined
to give the casualty.

It would be recalled that the Emir recently
called for people to arm themselves against
Boko Haram.


LIKE Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Join our BBM Channel

subscribe


subscribe

Leave a Reply

Your comment will be published soon.